January 30, 2011

Choices that last a life time

13 years ago I went to the movies with a friend and watched Armageddon. For those of you who haven't watched it, its one of those end of days, the world might end kinda of movies. For some reason this movie struck a cord with me and had me thinking about my own mortality and ask those life questions: who am I? why am I here? and what is my purpose in the grand scheme of things? I was only 15, but was really troubled by these questions and needed to find the answer.

So I started going to different churches. Never really asking questions but thought it might be a good place to start. So I would spend the night at friends houses and go with them and their families to church the next morning. Still didn't find my answer, but I guess that's hard when your not vocalizing your questions. Again I was only 15 so I probably wasn't ready to receive what ever answer would come my way. So I continued on this plan of going to different churches for a couple of years.

Then when I was 17 I was invited by my then boyfriend and other friends from high school to come to their church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon church. I responded with "sure" as I did all of my other invitations. When we were in Sacrament meeting it felt different. It felt calm and comforting. I went on the first Sunday of the month, which at this church meant that people from the congregation could bear their testimonies. I thought it was so amazing that all types of people young and old would get up and profess how they knew this church was true and share a spiritual experience they had. I wasn't sure but I wanted to know more. So I found the missionaries and invited them to my home to teach me more.

Most people recognize missionaries as Elders (young men) but in the area that we lived in we had sisters who were serving a mission. They came to my home and taught me about a boy, Joseph Smith, who like me questioned religion and was trying to figure out which church was right. They taught me I was a daughter of God and that he was aware of me and loved me, they told me there was a savior, Jesus Christ, who not only was sent here to atone for our sins but lead a life that was the best example for us that included charity, service and love. They taught me about an additional set of scripture, the Book of Mormon (stories and events that took place in the Americas). Everything they taught me seemed to fall into place. It all made sense

(For more information on our faith or FAQ's please visit mormon.org)

They taught me all the introductory doctrines of the church. They told me they knew it was true and bore their testimony to me but then told me not to believe on their words but that I had to find out for myself. They taught me how to recognize the spirit (the third member in of the godhead who bears truth) OK, so how do i do that...Well that night I knelt down in prayer...I have prayed before but this time I really wanted an answer and I prayed with all of my heart. Heavenly Father nor Jesus Christ appeared in my room...there was no angel but I did receive an answer that night. It was quite but shook me to my core. In an instant I knew that was the spirit telling me it was of God and that I had found what I was looking for. I knew everything they taught me and everything that I would learn along the way was true and I had to be apart of it. I knew the truth or at least where it was.

11 years ago (I was 17) I was baptized. A choice that would not only effect my life but the family that I would one day create. It's been 11 years since I was baptised and I believe every bit of it as I had then if not more. I am so thankful for those who were an example to me and helped me on my journey. I am thankful for my parent's who may not of understood why I was doing it but supported me anyways. But most of all I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father that put events and people into my path that would lead me to the truth. I am thankful for a loving Savior who would save a sinner like me. I am thankful that everyday I can try to be better than yesterday. I may not be perfect and probably never will be but through the gospel of Jesus Christ I have been given the tools to help me become better and help me find away back into the presence of God and be with my family forever!

By following our Heavenly Father’s plan, you—like all of His children—can someday return to live with Him and with your loved ones. You can have greater peace in this life and eternal joy in the life to come.

2 comments:

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

What a great story, and beautiful Testimony! Its funny, I was just telling Scott how I had never seen that movie! haha

Brian and Lindsay Holmstrom said...

I remember your transformation and introduction into the gospel, I am so glad that you have decided to write it down so your children can one day enjoy this story as well! And Kimber....REALLY?! You must watch it!